’30-Year Old Cardboard’ 2011 Collecting Goals
By now you all know that I am a very disciplined collector. And while I do veer from my main goals from time to time, I do keep my focus pretty strict on the players, subsets, and team sets that I am after.
And that brings me to my collecting goals for 2011. 2010 was a blast, and I am hoping that this new year follows suit. I was able to add some incredible pieces to my collection over the past twelve months and with a strict focus and decent amount of luck, I am hoping to do the same in 2011.
Enough chit, chat. Let’s do this:
1) Andre Dawson collection. My Dawson collection is nearing 800 unique cards. And as the amount of base and common cards continue to run out, I am left needing to stock up on low-numbered modern cards, certified autographs, and game-used relic cards. My goal is to get to 850 by the end of the year – roughly 1 new card a week. And since I have no clue as to what is in store for 2011 releases that may feature ‘The Hawk’, I may have to splurge a bit on some higher end cards.
2) Subsets & Team Sets. I will continue to put together subsets from the 1980’s. I love the history that they re-introduce, and I get a kick out of how quirky some of them are. I am also roughly 1/3 of the way done with my 1976 Topps Cincinnati Reds team set. I should be able to knock that one out within the next few months, which should conclude my tribute to ‘The Big Red Machine’. In regards to other team sets, we’ll see where the future takes me.
3) Signed baseball collection. Right now my collection stands at 43 signed balls. And I could not be happier with how this part of my collection has grown. I am going to attack in full force in 2011 and hope to get to 55 by the end of the year – I figure that a ball a month is do-able. Oh, and I already started a list of who I am going to try to go after. You’re going to be very impressed – especially I can pull them off!!!
4) Player collections. Currently I am working on 7 different collections, and while I may be in a bit over my head from time to time when trying to stay organized and neat, I have no intention of stopping or quitting the ‘PC’ game. And the mental list of guys I want to go after in 2011 is pretty strong. Stay tuned.
5) I am going to become a Fergie Jenkins Super-Collector. Don’t worry, I am not giving up on Andre Dawson. But I am making room for Fergie. After all, he is my favorite pitcher of all-time, and I have already collected all of his major brand releases from his playing days. It will be a lot of fun – and there are some great oddballs of Fergie from both the 70’s and 80’s too.
So there you have it – 5 challenging, and hopefully fulfilling quests for 2011. As always, my plan is to document this journey for you. So stay tuned to ’30-YOC’ all year-long as the ride will certainly be a fun one!!
What about you? What are your collecting goals for 2011? Please share.
Happy New Year Everyone!!!