’30-Year Old Cardboard’ 2012 Collecting Goals
By now you all know that I am a very disciplined collector. And while I do veer from my main goals from time to time, I do keep my focus pretty strict on the players, subsets, and team sets that I am after.
And that brings me to my collecting goals for 2012. 2011 was a blast, and I am hoping that this new year follows suit. I was able to add some incredible pieces to my collection over the past twelve months and with a strict focus and decent amount of luck, I am hoping to do the same in 2012.
Enough small talk. Let’s do this:
1) Andre Dawson collection. Very simple here, I want to hit 1,000 unique Andre Dawson cards by the end of the year. I am at 938 as of today, so I have some ground to cover. But if Dawson is inserted in as many sets in 2012 as he was in 2011, this should be easily attainable.
2) Fergie Jenkins collection – I want to get to 284 unique cards this year. Why 284? Well, that is the number of wins that Fergie collected during his Hall of Fame career. We both strive for 300 – something tells me that with the way that I collect, I will probably reach 300. I am at 197 right now so expect to see a lot of Fergie Jenkins posts in the year ahead!!
3) Florida Marlins Team Sets. Time to pay homage to the Marlins and their tenure as a team in major league baseball. My goal is to collect every Topps team set that have been issued of the Marlins since their inception in 1993. Sticking to Topps-only may be difficult, but I really look forward to taking this trip down memory lane with the team.
4) Signed baseball collection. My collection of signed balls exploded in 2011 – I sit comfortably with close to 70 signed balls on my desk. From here, I would like to get to 82. If I can add a ball a month to my collection I would be thrilled. I already have a lot in the works, close to 1/2 dozen as we speak, so reaching that goal should be a breeze!!
5) New Super-Collection Coming. I am not ready to unveil the player just yet, but that announcement should come in a couple of weeks. But if you know anything about me and my collecting style, I know only one way to collect – FULL THROTTLE!!! Stay tuned for that announcement later this month.
6) 1968 Topps Game Set. Taking a break from building subsets that excited me as a kid, I am going to go ‘old-school’ and try to put this 33-card set together in 2012. The checklist is a bit ominous, but I am really looking forward to this challenge!
7) Vintage. As always, I will be on the look out for cards of the players that helped build the history of our great sport. In 2011, I was able to add cards of Willie Mays and Hank Aaron to my collection, and not the re-print kind. We’re talking old cardboard here – and I love it. I would be thrilled to find a few more gems during the year. Hopefully I am able to come across a few new treats for my collection.
I cannot wait to get started, and as always I will use this blog to document my collecting journey each and every step of the way. I hope you all are as eager to view it as I am to write about it.
What about you? What are your collecting goals for 2012? Please share.
Happy New Year Everyone!!! Now let’s do some shopping!!!!