Mid-Year Status – ’30-Year Old Cardboard’ 2012 Collecting Goals
With today being the official mid-way point of the 2012 calendar, I thought I would take the time to go back and review the collecting goals that I had laid out on January 1 and see how they are coming along thus far.
Below is the original post from January, and my newly added notes can be found in Red.
1) Andre Dawson collection. Very simple here, I want to hit 1,000 unique Andre Dawson cards by the end of the year. I am at 938 as of today, so I have some ground to cover. But if Dawson is inserted in as many sets in 2012 as he was in 2011, this should be easily attainable. GOAL ACCOMPLISHED
2) Fergie Jenkins collection – I want to get to 284 unique cards this year. Why 284? Well, that is the number of wins that Fergie collected during his Hall of Fame career. We both strive for 300 – something tells me that with the way that I collect, I will probably reach 300. I am at 197 right now so expect to see a lot of Fergie Jenkins posts in the year ahead!! I’m only at 219 right now; maybe the lack of 2012 cards of Fergie has stalled my progress a bit. I am going to have to pick up steam, but 284 is a long-shot.
3) Florida Marlins Team Sets. Time to pay homage to the Marlins and their tenure as a team in major league baseball. My goal is to collect every Topps team set that have been issued of the Marlins since their inception in 1993. Sticking to Topps-only may be difficult, but I really look forward to taking this trip down memory lane with the team. So far, so good. I have added 14 Marlins team sets to my collection since January. I’ve abandoned the ‘Topps Only’ rule – I want them all!!! I’d love to double that number by the end of the year!
4) Signed baseball collection. My collection of signed balls exploded in 2011 – I sit comfortably with close to 70 signed balls on my desk. From here, I would like to get to 82. If I can add a ball a month to my collection I would be thrilled. I already have a lot in the works, close to 1/2 dozen as we speak, so reaching that goal should be a breeze!! I’ve pushed way past my original goal of 82. 90+ is looking very likely and I already have some stuff in the works to keep my numbers climbing. 🙂
5) New Super-Collection Coming. I am not ready to unveil the player just yet, but that announcement should come in a couple of weeks. But if you know anything about me and my collecting style, I know only one way to collect – FULL THROTTLE!!! Stay tuned for that announcement later this month. My Jim Palmer collection is off to a fine start. After only working on this for six months, I already have 142 unique cards of Palmer in my collection. 200 is a bit of a stretch, but I think I can hit 175 by the end of the year.
6) 1968 Topps Game Set. Taking a break from building subsets that excited me as a kid, I am going to go ‘old-school’ and try to put this 33-card set together in 2012. The checklist is a bit ominous, but I am really looking forward to this challenge! We’re getting close – I need just 7 more cards to call this set done!!!
7) Vintage. As always, I will be on the look out for cards of the players that helped build the history of our great sport. In 2011, I was able to add cards of Willie Mays and Hank Aaron to my collection, and not the re-print kind. We’re talking old cardboard here – and I love it. I would be thrilled to find a few more gems during the year. Hopefully I am able to come across a few new treats for my collection. I’ve really slacked with this – maybe I have spread myself too thin, but I have picked up very little vintage stuff this year. Time to re-focus a bit!!
And there you have it – not too bad so far, huh??? I have added some great stuff to my collection this year, both things on my ‘Want List’ and some surprises as well.
If the second half of 2012 is as good as the first half, 30-Year Old Cardboard will be a happening place to visit!!!
Thanks for reading.