30-Year Old Cardboard’s 2014 Collecting Goals!!!
I’m really happy with the format that I used for my 2013 goals post, so I will duplicate it here as I launch my goals for the 2014 collecting year.
I’ve been working on this for the better part of 3 weeks, and I am ready, and focused.
Here are my collecting goals for 2014:
1. Andre Dawson player collection. I start the year with 1,132 unique cards in my collection. I would like to add 40 new cards in the new year, but a lot of this depends on how many sets Dawson is included in for 2014. I think I can get to this number with few issues, but having him in A&G and Gypsy Queen will help. I will also try to bring in a few more relic and auto cards this year as compared to last.
2. Fergie Jenkins player collection. I start the year with 290 unique cards in my collection. I was cooking for a while in 2013, but this collection hit slow-motion half-way through the year. I would like to get to 325, but like Dawson, it all depends on how many 2014 checklists Jenkins appears on as I have many of his ‘old’ cards. I will also try to obtain a few more auto cards in the coming year.
3. Jim Palmer player collection. I start the year with 239 unique cards in my collection and I think I can add 52 more, one per week – giving me 290. I really need to dig deep on Palmer as he has a ton of modern cards out there that I do not yet have. Even if he is limited in 2014 releases, I think I can achieve this – just need to focus.
4. Joe Morgan player collection. I am starting the year with 170 unique cards in my Morgan collection. And like the Palmer one, my goal is one new card per week bringing me close to 220 at the end of the year. He should be in a lot of sets in 2014, and I know that I still have a bunch of modern sets I can tackle that he was a part of.
5. Modern Player Collections – Bryce Harper, Giancarlo Stanton, Andrew McCutchen, Dustin Pedroia, and Jose Fernandez. My goal for these players is simply to grow with and stay on track with their 2014 releases. Because of the number of new sets that come out each year, and because these guys will be present in 100% of them, this is a big challenge. But I am looking forward to it.
6. Marlins team sets. I ended 2013 with 114 Marlins team sets in my collection. If I can stay on track with the new sets as they are released, while also going back to some older ones, I think I can add one new set per week and go for 52 new ones – bringing my total to 166. I want to pay special attention to ‘The Miguel Cabrera Years’ in 2014.
7. Subsets. As always, I will build subsets that I find either appealing to the eye or that have a nice approach to the set/theme. I have a few in mind from recent releases, but I am also open to seeing what comes from new 2014 issues too. I am sure that Gypsy Queen will do something special this year, and I am eager to see if the flagship set presents us with something extra-unique in 2014 as well.
8. Signed baseball collection. As with last year, this year will not be about numbers for me. It is all about quality! I have 3 baseballs in the works right now, so the collection will naturally grow. But, for me, it is more about going after the players that created the history of the sport – and I have a lengthy list of guys I want to go after that helped do so. This is always one of the best challenges for me – and I am ready to go!!
9. 1975. Yes, 1975. I am going to focus a lot of time concentrating on this year, the year of my birth. I want memorabilia from 1975. I want signed baseballs from 1975. And you guessed right, I want cards from 1975 – I am going to build the 1975 Topps baseball card set!!
And there you have it, 2014 is going to be an unreal collecting year at ’30-YOC’ and I hope you are ready to sit beside me on this journey.
And pleases tell me about your goals too – it always interests me to see who is going after what….
Happy New Year everyone. Now, let’s shop!!!