UPDATE TIME: 30-Year Old Cardboard’s 2014 Collecting Goals!!!
Well friends, we have officially reached the half-way mark of 2014. And I would like to take this time to run through all my 2014 collecting goals so I can officially document my progress.
Sound like fun?
I hope so!
I will keep the original post in tact and simply add the status of each goal in Red.
Here are my collecting goals for 2014:
1. Andre Dawson player collection. I start the year with 1,132 unique cards in my collection. I would like to add 40 new cards in the new year, but a lot of this depends on how many sets Dawson is included in for 2014. I think I can get to this number with few issues, but having him in A&G and Gypsy Queen will help. I will also try to bring in a few more relic and auto cards this year as compared to last. I am at 1,156 unique cards in my Dawson collection right now and I have a few more in the mail headed to me. Andre has not been on too many checklists in 2014 so I am crossing my fingers that changes as more products drop in the coming months. Either way, I am on track for 40 new cards added in 2014.
2. Fergie Jenkins player collection. I start the year with 290 unique cards in my collection. I was cooking for a while in 2013, but this collection hit slow-motion half-way through the year. I would like to get to 325, but like Dawson, it all depends on how many 2014 checklists Jenkins appears on as I have many of his ‘old’ cards. I will also try to obtain a few more auto cards in the coming year. I am at 299 unique Jenkins cards for my collection. And with a small stack of Archives to grab from this year’s release, I should be able to add a few more pretty easily. 325 is still far off so, like my Dawson collection, a lot is pending on how often Fergie’s name appears on future checklists.
3. Jim Palmer player collection. I start the year with 239 unique cards in my collection and I think I can add 52 more, one per week – giving me 290. I really need to dig deep on Palmer as he has a ton of modern cards out there that I do not yet have. Even if he is limited in 2014 releases, I think I can achieve this – just need to focus. I have slacked big time on my Palmer collecting – and I must fix it. So far, I have only scored 5 new cards of #22 for my collection. Time to re-focus.
4. Joe Morgan player collection. I am starting the year with 170 unique cards in my Morgan collection. And like the Palmer one, my goal is one new card per week bringing me close to 220 at the end of the year. He should be in a lot of sets in 2014, and I know that I still have a bunch of modern sets I can tackle that he was a part of. Sadly, my Morgan collection has not grown as I would like – and it is my fault. I am at 179 unique cards of Morgan, just 9 more than what I had on January 1. Time to get going!
5. Modern Player Collections – Bryce Harper, Giancarlo Stanton, Andrew McCutchen, Dustin Pedroia, and Jose Fernandez. My goal for these players is simply to grow with and stay on track with their 2014 releases. Because of the number of new sets that come out each year, and because these guys will be present in 100% of them, this is a big challenge. But I am looking forward to it. This has gone incredibly well. My Stanton and Fernandez collections have really blossomed and with so many cards to go after from the Series 2 and Archives releases, I should be able to add a bunch pretty easily. My Pedroia and McCutchen collections have also grown nicely and I am eager to keep pushing on both. As for my Bryce Harper collection, it has stalled a bit – I am simply not ready to pay premium prices on singles when S&H fees are going up.
6. Marlins team sets. I ended 2013 with 114 Marlins team sets in my collection. If I can stay on track with the new sets as they are released, while also going back to some older ones, I think I can add one new set per week and go for 52 new ones – bringing my total to 166. I want to pay special attention to ‘The Miguel Cabrera Years’ in 2014. I currently rest at 127 different Marlins team sets in my collection. I am pretty far away from my goal of 166, but with 25 weeks left in the year, I may be able to get to 150.
7. Subsets. As always, I will build subsets that I find either appealing to the eye or that have a nice approach to the set/theme. I have a few in mind from recent releases, but I am also open to seeing what comes from new 2014 issues too. I am sure that Gypsy Queen will do something special this year, and I am eager to see if the flagship set presents us with something extra-unique in 2014 as well. I have only gone after two subsets this year as I have been focused on a bigger task. Still, adding the 2014 Topps All-Rookie Cup and Super Veterans subsets to my collection has been a lot of fun. After both are done, I may take a break from subsets unless something really catches my eye.
8. Signed baseball collection. As with last year, this year will not be about numbers for me. It is all about quality! I have 3 baseballs in the works right now, so the collection will naturally grow. But, for me, it is more about going after the players that created the history of the sport – and I have a lengthy list of guys I want to go after that helped do so. This is always one of the best challenges for me – and I am ready to go!! Quality is my goal, and I am happy with the growth of my collection. I have one signing happening that I am committed to and a few more that I am keeping my eyes on. If I can add 3-5 more balls this year to my collection (hopefully at least one new HOFer) I will be very pleased.
9. 1975. Yes, 1975. I am going to focus a lot of time concentrating on this year, the year of my birth. I want memorabilia from 1975. I want signed baseballs from 1975. And you guessed right, I want cards from 1975 – I am going to build the 1975 Topps baseball card set!! Saving he best for last, building the 1975 Topps baseball card set has been a thrill. I’ve wanted to do this for years and now that I have committed and focused attention on the task, I am truly enjoying it. It has been 20 years since I last built a complete set of cards and I am truly re-living my youth through this process. I have a lot of cards to go, but I am ready and willing to embark on the journey.
And there you have it, that was a lot of fun to recap!
2014 has been pretty good to me and ’30-YOC’. I am very eager to see what the remainder of the year has in store for me and my collection.
Stay tuned. And as always, Thanks for Reading!!!